Remember Outdoor Safety This Summer
Before you enjoy your outdoor activities this summer, remember that safety should always be your top priority. Review these safety rules with your family to promote a safe play environment.
• Survey your area for power lines and electrical equipment. Point them out to children and emphasize that they should never climb or play near them.
• Stay away from downed power lines. Always assume the power line is energized and report it to Linn County REC immediately.
• Do not install playground equipment or swimming pools underneath or near power lines. Protect family members from serious shock and injuries by installing outdoor outlets with ground fault circuit interrupters.
• Fly kites and model airplanes in large open areas safely away from trees and overhead power lines. If a kite gets stuck on or near power lines, contact Linn County REC for assistance.
• Stay away from substations. Never rescue a pet or retrieve a ball or toy that goes inside. Explain to your children what the warning signs posted on substations and transformers mean.
• Never play on or around padmount transformers. If the lock is broken or the door is open contact Linn County REC right away.