A A A
Iowa Electrical Codes
- Electrical safety codes prohibit meters to be located on decks or closed-in porches. The meter, underground and overhead lines, transformers, and pedestals must be accessible to Linn County REC at all times.
- Underground electric lines cannot run under decks, concrete or home additions, etc.
- When installing a fence, the fence should not be installed directly over underground electric lines and should not block access to electrical equipment.
- Planting trees under overhead electric lines is discouraged. As trees grow, they can potentially grow into electrical lines; causing blinking lights and outages. There are also certain restrictions regarding overhead lines near a swimming pool.
- Whether installing a fence or planting trees/shrubs, you should check your property for easements that may restrict where the tree or fence can be placed. Planting should not limit accessibility to electrical equipment.