Deck the Halls with LEDs
Why are LED holiday lights better than traditional bulbs? A string of traditional lights uses 36 watts of power and a string of LED lights only uses 5 watts. They can even last up to 10 times longer! Here are more facts about today’s LEDs:
- LEDs come in warm colors in a variety of light beam patterns and dimming speeds, giving you lots of creative options.
- LEDs last longer than traditional lights. They have a life span of about 20,000 hours, enough to last for 40 holiday seasons. Also, the lights don’t have glass or filaments, which makes them durable and resistant to breaking.
- LEDs use less energy. Running LEDs on one 6 foot Christmas tree for 12 hours per day for 40 days can save 90% or more energy when compared to traditional incandescent lights.
- LEDs are cool to the touch, reducing the risk of fire.
- Look for brands and manufacturers of ENERGY STAR-qualified LED decorative light strings.
- When you use LEDs one individual outage generally doesn’t darken the whole strand.