Building a deck or remodeling your home? If the building project involves the area around your electric meter, overhead power lines or underground power lines, contact Linn County REC before you begin. By contacting us before you begin a project involving your electric service, you can avoid unnecessary expense and safety hazards by correcting a problem before it happens.
It is important to know the following safety codes before you begin your project:
- Electrical safety codes prohibit meters to be located on decks or closed-in porches. The meter, underground and overhead lines, transformers, and pedestals must be accessible to Linn County REC at all times.
- Underground electric lines cannot run under decks, concrete or home additions, etc.
- When installing a fence, the fence should not be installed directly over underground electric lines and should not block access to electrical equipment.
- Planting trees under overhead electric lines is discouraged. As trees grow, they can potentially grow into electrical lines; causing blinking lights and outages. There are also certain restrictions regarding overhead lines near a swimming pool.
- Whether installing a fence or planting trees/shrubs, you should check your property for easements that may restrict where the tree or fence can be placed. Planting should not limit accessibility to electrical equipment.
If you have any questions regarding your electric meter, please call 377-1587 or toll free in Iowa at 1-800-332-5420 to speak with our engineering department.